The Rockit case is finally finished. I got the third and final prototype of the Rockit case in, put it together, and did the happy dance. I’m going to make some small adjustments for the production order, but nothing that will require another round of prototypes. I’m going to put up the case for pre-sale today. I need to hit a threshold of about 50 orders in order to buy it. The lead time from the laser cutter is three weeks, so these should ship in February. The cost will be $50. Click through for more pictures. Continue reading
It was my intention to have the case ready for sale by now but events have intervened. I managed to get the design done and ordered but there were some snafus at the laser cutter and what was delivered was not what was designed. I’m getting another set made but I couldn’t get it before the holidays, so it’ll be done in January. I did get to see how the two-tone material is going to look and it’s gonna be officially dope. I know it’s been a while but this case is going to be worth the wait.
I’m working on a software update for Rockit to fix a few bugs and to improve some features. I’ve got a feature in mind to add as well, but I’m going to keep it a surprise til it happens.
I’ve got another thing in the works as well and I’ll probably announce it in the next week.
Cheers and Happy Holidays.
Here’s the new faceplate drawing! My wife has been hard at work. If you can’t tell, we decided to take the design in a decidedly less boring direction. I want Rockit to look like nothing else and I think we’ve achieve that. The case files are heading to the laser cutter as we speak. Hopefully, I’ll get the prototype back by next week. This faceplate will be cut from two-tone acrylic, which is black with white material sandwiched on the back. The laser blows away the black material to reveal the white below making everything entirely legible. Stay tuned!
I got the first case prototype in today. It’s definitely a work in progress, but the general idea is there. Click through for a big picture and a discussion of the changes I need to make before I call it done.
After a bit of feedback, I’m gonna call it. I’m going to pursue the Sammich/Shruthi style of case. It looks decent and won’t be hard for me to manage. I’m working out the CAD files presently and I’ll cost it out pretty soon.
I received a sample of a case from Envision Plastics today. I have to say that it’s not as chintzy as I thought it might be. It’s definitely sturdy. It snaps together well and isn’t terrible to take apart when you want to get at the guts. The finish isn’t going to be as nice as a proper injection molded plastics or as nice as an aluminum enclosure but I think it could get the job done, at least in the short term. I haven’t decided if this is the path I want to take yet. I’ve been in discussions with a serious mechanical product designer who found me through Kickstarter. We’re working out the details and I might end up working with him to make a full blown serious enclosure. Stay tuned for more on that as it develops. Click through for pictures of the sample enclosure.
I heard back from Envision Plastics yesterday and can finally price the case that I’ve been working on. As I posted on Kickstarter, I haven’t ordered it because I want to know how many people will want one before I place the order. It’s going to be made from black 3mm polystyrene impact resistant plastic. It’ll have white silkscreen as a legend for all the controls plus a bit of logo to make it snazzy. I don’t have pictures of this case because they won’t design it until I commit to an order. It’s going to be $50 plus shipping. I’d like to know if you’re interested, so leave a comment or send me an email and let me know good, bad, or otherwise.
I finally figured out how to make a proper CAD drawing for the Rockit case. I ended up using QCAD (Thanks again Todd Bailey). It took me a while to get used to the program. It strikes me as a little click-happy and less than intuitive for someone who has never used such a program before. I think it makes Eagle look advanced, but I managed to make it work. Click through for a picture.